英 [fɔː'gəʊ; fə-]
- [ 过去式forwent 过去分词forgone 现在分词forgoing ]
for-, 完全的。go, 走，离开。引申词义放弃，弃绝。
- forgo (v.)
- "refrain from," Old English forgan "abstain from, leave undone, neglect," also "go or pass over, go away," from for- "away" + gan "go" (see go (v.)). Often, but less properly, forego. Related: Forgoing; forgone.
- 1. No one was prepared to forgo their lunch hour to attend the meeting.
- 2. Time to prepare was a luxuary he would have to forgo.
- 3. She would willingly forgo a birthday treat if only her warring parents would declare a truce.
- 4. Many skiers are happy to forgo a summer vacation to go skiing.
- 5. She decided to forgo dessert for a few days.
[ forgo 造句 ]