- south Asian nation formed 1947 by division of British India, the name apparently proposed 1930s by Muslim students at Cambridge University, first element said to be an acronym from Punjab, Afghanistan and Kashmir, three regions envisioned as forming the new state, which also made a play on Iranian pak "pure." For second element, see -stan. Related: Pakistani (1941).
- 1. Nothing seems certain in this crucial period in Pakistan's political life.
- 2. The polls have closed in the Pakistan parliamentary elections.
- 3. He helped to recruit volunteers to go to Pakistan to fight.
- 4. It was a Labour government which granted independence to India and Pakistan.
- 5. The aid allocation for Pakistan was still under review.
[ Pakistan 造句 ]