1. barber (originally "beard-trimmer") => barb- "beard" => rebarbative.
2. => literally “to stand beard to beard against, face each other ‘beard to beard’ aggressively”.
3. => repellent, unattractive.
re-,相对，-barb,胡子，词源同 beard,barber.即胡子对胡子，面对面，引申词义快打架的，厌 恶的。
- rebarbative (adj.)
- "repellent, unattractive," 1885, from French rébarbatif (14c.), from barbe "beard," from Latin barba (see barb (n.)).
- 1. He became rebarbative and prickly and spiteful; I find his obsequiousness repellent.
- 他变得令人讨厌、易发怒,怀有恶意; 我发现他的奉承令人厌恶.
- 2. He has the rebarbative habit that is smoking during eating.
- 3. He became rebarbative and prickly and spiteful.
[ rebarbative 造句 ]