CET6+ TEM8 IELTS
来自拉丁语 referendum,参考对象，来自 referre,拿回，参考，词源同 refer.-end,动名词后缀， -um,中性格。后引申词义全民公决。
- referendum (n.)
- 1847, "a submitting of a question to the voters as a whole" (originally chiefly in reference to Switzerland), from French or German, from Latin referendum "that which must be referred," literally "thing brought back," neuter gerundive of referre "to bring or take back" (see refer). As a gerundive, it has no plural in Latin; referendums is preferred in English.
- 1. Estonia said it too planned to hold a referendum on independence.
- 2. President Kaunda fulfilled his promise of announcing a date for the referendum.
- 3. A referendum showed beyond doubt that voters wanted independence.
- 4. Parliament has bowed to the demand for a referendum next year.
- 5. A referendum next year would coincide explosively with the election campaign.
[ referendum 造句 ]