- n. 休息；睡眠；静止
- vt. 使休息；寄托于
- vi. 休息；座落；长眠；依靠；静卧；建立于
1. repose (v.1): re- "intensive prefix" + pos- (paus-) + -e. => cause to rest, lie at rest, lie to rest.
2. repose (v.2): re- "intensive prefix" + pos- + -e. => put, place.
3. re-: Latin combining form conceivably from Indo-European *wret-, metathetical variant of *wert- "turn".
4. 由re-前缀的词源信息可以感觉到，re-前缀的“intensive prefix”含义更有可能是倾向于表示：turn to, turn toward, cause to.
来自中古法语 reposer,来自古法语 repauser,来自拉丁语 repausare,停下休息，来自 re-,表强调， pausare,停下，暂停，词源同 pause.
- repose: Repose ‘rest’  and repose ‘place’  (as in ‘repose confidence in someone’) are distinct words in English. The former comes via Old French reposer from late Latin repausāre, a compound verb based on pausāre ‘rest’ (source of English pause). The latter was an English coinage, formed from the prefix re- and the verb pose ‘place’. It was modelled on Latin repōnere ‘replace’, whose derivative repositorium has given English repository .
=> pause; position, repository
- repose (v.1)
- "lie at rest," mid-15c., from Middle French reposer, from Old French repauser (10c.), from Late Latin repausare "cause to rest," from Latin re-, here probably an intensive prefix (see re-), + Late Latin pausare "to stop" (see pause (v.)). Related: Reposed; reposing.
- repose (v.2)
- "put, place," mid-15c., from Latin repos-, stem of reponere "put back, set back, replace, restore; put away, lay out, stretch out," from re- "back, away" (see re-) + ponere "to put, place" (past participle positus; see position (n.)). Or perhaps [Klein] formed in Middle English from Old French poser, on model of disposen "dispose."
- repose (n.)
- "rest," c. 1500, from Middle French repos (11c.), back-formation from reposer (see repose (v.1)).
- 1. Its atmosphere is one of repose rather than excitement.
- 2. He had a still, almost blank face in repose.
- 3. Don't disturb her repose.
- 4. " And was still operating, on Mr. Dimmesdale's well - being and repose . "
- 而且那机器仍在 开动,他还得忍受.
来自英汉 - 翻译样例 - 文学
- 5. Consider what I did - I who so loved repose and inaction.
[ repose 造句 ]