TEM8 IELTS GRE
来自拉丁语 reticere,保持安静，来自 re-,表强调，tacere,安静，词源同 tacit.引申词义寡言少语 的。
- reticent:  The ultimate source of reticent is Latin tacēre ‘be silent’ (source of English tacit and taciturn). Combination with the intensive prefix re- produced reticēre ‘keep silent’, whose present participle gave English reticent. It was preceded into the language by over two hundred years by the derived noun reticence.
=> tacit, taciturn
- reticent (adj.)
- 1834, from Latin reticentem (nominative reticens), present participle of reticere "be silent" (see reticence).
- 1. She is so reticent about her achievements.
- 2. She was shy and reticent.
- 3. He was reticent about his opinion.
- 4. She was morose, pale, and reticent.
- 5. Mrs. Smith, normally a reticent woman, took it upon herself to write to the President.
[ reticent 造句 ]