CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
来自短语on less (than), 在少于的情况下，后由于该短语的否定含义，介词on被改写成了un.词义演变比较despite, in spite of .
- unless (conj.)
- mid-15c., earlier onlesse, from (not) on lesse (than) "(not) on a less compelling condition (than);" see less. The first syllable originally on, but the negative connotation and the lack of stress changed it to un-. "Except could once be used as a synonym for unless, but the words have now drawn entirely apart" [Century Dictionary].
- 1. The targets would not be achieved unless other departments showed equal commitment.
- 2. Training is worthless unless there is proof that it works.
- 3. The South African mailboat arrived on Friday mornings unless bad weather intervened.
- 4. All bitches should be spayed unless being used for breeding.
- 5. I tend to forget things unless I mark them down.
[ unless 造句 ]