- n. 福利；幸福；福利事业；安宁
- adj. 福利的；接受社会救济的
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
来自古英语wel faran,来自 wel-,好的，词源同well,fare,旅程，人生航程。引申义社会福利。
- welfare (n.)
- c. 1300, from Old English wel faran "condition of being or doing well," from wel (see well (adv.)) + faran "get along" (see fare (v.)). Similar formation in Old Norse velferð. Meaning "social concern for the well-being of children, the unemployed, etc." is first attested 1904; meaning "organized effort to provide for maintenance of members of a group" is from 1918. Welfare state is recorded from 1941.
- 1. They were more concerned about the dogs' welfare than a clean getaway.
- 2. The local welfare office is where government dispenses many of its services.
- 3. The government is cynically running down Swe-den's welfare system.
- 4. Unsupported mothers are one of the fastest-growing groups of welfare claimants.
- 5. Animal welfare is a subject very close to my heart.
[ welfare 造句 ]