- n. 值班名册；轮值表
- n. (Rota)人名；(英、法、意、葡、捷、土)罗塔
1. from Latin rota "wheel"; roll 就源于 rota.
来自拉丁语 rota,轮子，词源同 rotary.引申词义轮值，轮值表。
- rota:  Latin rota denoted ‘wheel’: it came ultimately from a prehistoric Indo-European base *reth- meaning ‘run, roll’, which also produced German rad ‘wheel’. It was introduced into English in 1659 by the republican James Harrington as the name for a political club he founded to advocate his idea that government office should be held in rotation. Derivatives of rota have contributed richly to English.
Medieval Latin rotārius has given rotary . From the verb rotāre ‘revolve’ have come rotate  and, via its Spanish descendant rodear, rodeo  (etymologically a ‘roundingup’ or ‘surrounding’ of cattle). Rotundus, a derivative of rotāre, has produced rotund  and round. The diminutive form rotulus has given control and roll.
And roue ‘wheel’, the French descendant of rota, is the source of roué , etymologically someone broken on the ‘wheel’.
=> control, prune, rodeo, roll, rondo, rotate, rotund, round
- 1. The tea is prepared on a rota basis by the lady members.
- 2. Dave organized a cleaning rota.
- 3. I suggest that you work out a careful rota which will make it clear who tidies the room on which day.
- 4. Be aware of the departmental rota and to always be on time for duty.
[ rota 造句 ]