CET6+ TEM8 GRE
1. 区分易混单词：conspire, transpire.
con-, 强调。-spir, 呼吸，词源同spirit, respire.
- conspire: see spirit
- conspire (v.)
- late 14c., from Old French conspirer (14c.), from Latin conspirare "to agree, unite, plot," literally "to breathe together," from com- "together" (see com-) + spirare "to breathe" (see spirit (n.)). Or perhaps the notion is "to blow together" musical instruments, i.e., "To sound in unison." Related: Conspired; conspiring.
- 1. But fateful forces beyond the band's control were to conspire against them.
- 2. It was just one of those times when you wonder whether the fates conspire against you.
- 3. Yet, in real life, circumstances do sometimes conspire to bring about coincidences which anyone but a nineteenth century novelist would find incredible.
- 然而在实际生活中, 有些事情有时候的确好象神差鬼使一样地促成了一些除了十九世纪小说家外谁也不会相信的巧合.
- 4. People always conspire to keep the truth from me.
- 5. You conspire with him against me, don't you ?
- 你和他串通一起反对我, 是 吧 ?
[ conspire 造句 ]