TEM8 IELTS GRE
1、sembl- + -ance.
2、含义：fact of appearing to view, likeness, appearance.
来自古法语 sembler,看起来，来自（异化自）拉丁语 simulare,模仿，词源同 same,similar.引 申诸相关词义。
- semblance: see similar
- semblance (n.)
- c. 1300, "fact of appearing to view," from Old French semblance, from semblant "likeness, appearance," present participle of sembler "to seem, appear," from Latin simulare "to resemble, imitate," from similis "like" (see similar (adj.)). Meaning "person's appearance or demeanor" is attested from c. 1400; that of "false, assumed or deceiving appearance" is from 1590s. Meaning "person or thing that resembles another" is attested from 1510s.
- 1. They had nursed Peter back to some semblance of health.
- 2. The ceasefire brought about a semblance of peace.
- 3. He tried to restore some semblance of normality to their home life.
- 4. By now any semblance of normality had disappeared.
- 5. Her semblance of anger frightened the children.
[ semblance 造句 ]