- recessive (adj.)
- 1670s, from Latin recess-, past participle stem of recedere (see recede) + -ive. Linguistics sense is from 1879; in genetics, 1900, from German recessiv (Mendel, 1865). Related: Recessiveness.
- 1. Sickle-cell anaemia is passed on through a recessive gene.
- 2. Blue eyes are recessive and brown eyes are dominant.
- 3. F 1 females could be backcrossed to the male homozygous recessive parent.
- 4. In normal seedlings the deleterious recessive genes are not expressed.
- 5. The allele for blue eyes is recessive.
[ recessive 造句 ]