TEM4 IELTS GRE TOEFL
1、spars- + -e.
来自拉丁语 sparse,散开的，播洒的，来自 spargere,散开，播种，来自 PIE*sperg,播，洒，溅， 来自 PIE*sper,播，洒，词源同 sprinkle,spread,intersperse.引申词义稀少的，稀疏的等。
- sparse: see spread
- sparse (adj.)
- 1727, from Latin sparsus "scattered," past participle of spargere "to scatter, spread," from PIE root *(s)preg- (2) "to jerk, scatter" (cognates: Sanskrit parjanya- "rain, rain god," Avestan fra-sparega "branch, twig," literally "that which is jerked off a tree," Old Norse freknur "freckles," Swedish dialectal sprygg "brisk, active," Lithuanian sprogti "shoot, bud," Old Irish arg "a drop"). The word is found earlier in English as a verb, "to scatter abroad" (16c.). Related: Sparsely; sparseness.
- 1. He was a tubby little man in his fifties, with sparse hair.
- 2. Many slopes are rock fields with sparse vegetation.
- 3. The sparse line of spectators noticed nothing unusual.
- 4. Traffic was sparse on the highway.
- 5. the sparse population of the islands
[ sparse 造句 ]