CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
来自古法语 subtil,来自拉丁语 subtilis,精细的，精致的，来自 sub,向下，在下，-tilis,网的， 来自 tela,网，词源同 toilet,toiletry.其字面意思可能是网中网，因此要求更巧妙的编织技术， 引申诸相关词义。
- subtle:  Latin subtīlis, the ultimate source of English subtle, seems to have originated as a weaving term. It probably goes back ultimately to the phrase sub tēla ‘beneath the lengthwise threads in a loom’ (tēla, source of English toilet and toils, was a contraction of *texla, a relative of English textile). As this was lexicalized via *subtēlis to subtīlis, it developed the meaning ‘finely woven’, which subsequently broadened out to ‘fine, thin’. By the time it reached English, via Old French sutil, it had evolved further, to ‘making fine discriminations’.
=> textile, toilet
- subtle (adj.)
- c. 1300 (mid-13c. as a surname), sotil, "penetrating; ingenious; refined" (of the mind); "sophisticated, intricate, abstruse" (of arguments), from Old French sotil, soutil, subtil "adept, adroit; cunning, wise; detailed; well-crafted" (12c., Modern French subtil), from Latin subtilis "fine, thin, delicate, finely woven;" figuratively "precise, exact, accurate," in taste or judgment, "fine, keen," of style, "plain, simple, direct," from sub "under" (see sub-) + -tilis, from tela "web, net, warp of a fabric" (see texture (n.)).
From early 14c. in reference to things, "of thin consistency;" in reference to craftsmen, "cunning, skilled, clever;" Depreciative sense "insidious, treacherously cunning; deceitful" is from mid-14c. Material senses of "not dense or viscous, light; pure; delicate, thin, slender; fine, consisting of small particles" are from late 14c. sotil wares were goods sold in powdered form or finely ground. Partially re-Latinized in spelling, and also by confusion with subtile.
- 1. I even began to exploit him in subtle ways.
- 2. Some of the designs are subtle, some gloriously OTT.
- 3. The tactics employed can range from overt bullying to subtle emotional blackmail.
- 4. Young haricot beans have a tender texture and a delicate, subtle flavour.
- 5. He is a subtle character, you know.
[ subtle 造句 ]