CET4 TEM4 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1、tract- + -or.
来自拉丁语 trahere,拖，拉，使移动，词源同 drag,tract.-ct,过去分词格，-or,表物。引申词义 拖拉机，牵引机。
- tractor:  Tractor is one of a large family of English words that come from tractus, the past participle of Latin trahere ‘pull’ (others include abstract , attract, contract, detract , distract , extract , retract, subtract, trace, tract , tractable , traction , trait, treat, treatise, and treaty). Tractor itself was originally used in English for a device, invented by the 18th-century American doctor Elisha Perkins, for ‘pulling’ across the surface of the skin, which was supposed to relieve rheumatic pains.
It was not applied to a ‘vehicle for pulling loads’ until the end of the 19th century. From Latin trahere itself come English retreat and train; and drag may go back to the same ultimate source.
=> abstract, attract, contract, detract, distract, extract, retract, retreat, subtract, trace, tract, train, trait, treat, treaty
- tractor (n.)
- 1856, "something that pulls," from Modern Latin tractor "that which draws," agent noun from past participle stem of Latin trahere "to pull, draw" (see tract (n.1)). Earlier used of a quack device consisting of two metal rods which were supposed to relieve rheumatism (1798, in full Perkins's metallic tractor); still the main sense in Century Dictionary (1891).
Sense of "an engine or vehicle for pulling wagons or plows" is recorded by 1896, from earlier traction engine (1859). The meaning "powerful truck for pulling a freight trailer" is first found 1926; tractor-trailer as "combined motor-truck and trailer" is from 1914.
- 1. The farm employed a tractor driver and two general labourers.
- 2. Paul hooked his tractor to the car and pulled it to safety.
- 3. In addition to the tractor, we have acquired a new rice transplanter.
- 除了拖拉机, 我们又添了一台插秧机.
- 4. He learnt tractor maintenance.
- 5. You must oil the tractor every day.
[ tractor 造句 ]