- vi. 摸索；探索
- vt. 摸索
- n. 摸索；触摸
- n. (Grope)人名；(德)格罗佩
CET6 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL
1. grape ===> grope.
2. g- (瓜[gua]的首字母) + rope (绳、线 => 藤) => 顺藤摸瓜(地去摸索、探索)，是不是很形象啊？
4. originally "lay hold of, seize, touch, attain".
5. grope <===>gripe, grip.
词源同grab, grip. 由抓住引申词义摸索，探索。
- grope: see grip
- grope (v.)
- late Old English grapian "to feel about (as one blind or in darkness)," also "take hold of, seize, touch, attain," related to gripan "grasp at" (see gripe (v.)). Transitive sense "search out by sense of touch alone" was in late Old English. Figurative sense is from early 14c. Indecent sense "touch (someone) amorously, play with, fondle" (marked as "obsolete" in OED 2nd edition) is from c. 1200. Related: Groped; groping.
- grope (n.)
- c. 1500, "act of groping," from grope (v.). Old English had grap "a grasp."
- 1. He would try to grope her breasts and put his hand up her skirt.
- 2. She even boasted of having a grope in a cupboard with a 13-year-old.
- 3. The great Greek grope growers grow great Greek grapes.
- 4. I grope for the light switch in the dark room.
- 5. Provide specialist technical support to the Aluminum Grope, customers and contract manufacturers.
- 对集团的项目提供专业技术支持, 对用户和制造厂商提供专业技术支持.
[ grope 造句 ]