- adj. 完全的，绝对的；绝对戒酒的；滴酒不沾的
- vi. 绝对戒酒
2、T-total => teetotal.
3、with a reduplication of the initial T- for emphasis.
4、含义：pledged to total abstinence from intoxicating drink.
tee-,来自 total 的首字母音，据说是来自某结巴说话不清楚的笑话，或为表强调，total,整个的， 完全的。用以指滴酒不沾的人。
- teetotal:  The adverb teetotally is first recorded in America in 1832 (James Hall, in his Legends of West Philadelphia, recorded a Kentucky backwoodsman as saying ‘These Mingoes … ought to be essentially, and particularly, and tee-totally obflisticated off of the face of the whole yearth’); the tee represents the initial t of total, as if repeating it to give extra emphasis to the word.
The application of the adjective teetotal to ‘total abstinence from alcohol’ (that is, including beer, and not just spirits) is virtually contemporary. It is credited to a certain Richard Turner, of Preston, Lancashire, who is reputed to have used it in a speech to a temperance society in September 1833.
- teetotal (v.)
- "pledged to total abstinence from intoxicating drink," 1834, possibly formed from total (adj.) with a reduplication of the initial T- for emphasis (T-totally "totally," though not in an abstinence sense, is recorded in Kentucky dialect from 1832 and is possibly older in Irish-English).
The use in temperance jargon was first noted September 1833 in a speech advocating total abstinence (from beer as well as wine and liquor) by Richard "Dicky" Turner, a working-man from Preston, England. Also said to have been introduced in 1827 in a New York temperance society which recorded a T after the signature of those who had pledged total abstinence, but contemporary evidence for this is wanting, and while Century Dictionary allows that "the word may have originated independently in the two countries," OED favors the British origin and ones that Webster (1847) calls teetotaler "a cant word formed in England."
- 1. He won't drink because he's teetotal.
- 2. He will not be having a celebratory drink, as he is teetotal.
- 3. No thank you; I happen to be teetotal.
- 谢谢,不用了; 我正好不喝酒.
- 4. Similarly, the IQ of women drinkers showed an improvement of 2.5 points over their teetotal sisters.
- 同样, 饮酒的妇女智商比那些完全不喝酒的妇女要高2.5个百分点.
[ teetotal 造句 ]