CET6+ TEM8 GRE
re-,向后，往回，-pris,抓住，缩写自 prehens,词源同 prehensile,prison.即抓回，后引申词义报 复，特指国家间收回领土，财物等的军事行动。
- reprisal (n.)
- early 15c., "seizing property or citizens of another nation in retaliation for loss inflicted on one's own," from Anglo-French reprisaille (14c.), from Old French reprisaille (Modern French représaille), from early Italian ripresaglia, from ripreso, past participle of riprendere "take back," from Latin reprendere, earlier reprehendere (see reprehend). General sense of "retaliation" is from 1710.
- 1. There were fears that some of the Western hostages might be killed in reprisal.
- 2. There is no political alternative but a big reprisal.
- 3. Hand , being greatly hurt in his pride, contemplated only severe reprisal.
- 韩德的自尊心受到严重伤害, 一心一意考虑着严厉的报复.
- 4. Civilian targets were bombed in reprisal ( for the raid ).
- 轰炸了民用目标作为 ( 对曾受袭击的 ) 报复.
- 5. People were shot in reprisal.
[ reprisal 造句 ]